[Pw_forum] init_london Error

Vikas Varshney vv0210 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 18:36:08 CEST 2011

Dear Giuseppe,

Thank you very much for the clarification. I am using GGA functionals
for my relaxation. So, as you mentioned vdw-DF is improved for LDA
type of functionals, I will stick with the london option. They gave me
correct experimental crystal parameters as well (within 2%). But it is
definitely good to know about of them and their differences.

I have one more related question if you could clarify.

Lets say for my system of interest, I want to use LDA functionals with
vdw-DF setting (which will modify the wavefunctions) and run an SCF
calculation on a previously relaxed geometry. Then, I do the phonon
dispersion calculation (which I assume will read the electronic
interaction from previously saved wavefunction information, if I run
it in the same directory as I ran SCF calculation and stored all files
in that directory). In that case, will the calculated dynamical matrix
include the interactions from vdw forces as well?

I am asking this as ph.x does not consider DFT-D2 type of interaction
(no flag for it, hopefully I will work on it) while evaluating
dynamical matrix.

Any insights will be beneficial for my knowledge as well as for future studies.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Vikas Varshney
Computational Material Scientist
Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Dayton OH