[Pw_forum] Layers of different materials

Heidari, Sareh s.heidari at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Jun 23 14:45:32 CEST 2011

Dear QE users,

I am quite new to using Quantum Espresso. Apologies in advance for this very elementary question.

I would like to do an scf calculation on a structure that has layers of different materials. For example, 7 layers of Cu in an fcc structure (100) surface, followed by two layers of CuN (100) surface.
I started by calculating bulk Cu and then bulk CuN. However, I could not find how to create layers without making a very large supercell that is 9 layers (7+2) thick.

Is there another way for me to approach this problem that would allow me to use smaller unit cells? Or is the approach I mentioned above the recommended one?

Again, I am sorry if this has been asked before; I have tried searching the archive, user guide and other sources but hadn't come across an answer. Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Sareh

Sareh Heidari
PhD Student