[Pw_forum] Three questions about phonon calculation

xirainbow nkxirainbow at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 15:15:09 CEST 2011

Dear Yu Han Ho:

2011/6/1 yhho <yhho at pub.iams.sinica.edu.tw>

>  Dear all,
> I have some questions about Phonon calculation.
>
> 1. If I use ph.x to run the graphene phonon dispersion and pdos,
>     should I use the q points which is multiple of 6 because of the
> hexagonal shape of grathpene crystal?

I do not think so. But before calculation, you must know which q points you
want to get.

> 2. When I run phonon-dispersion calculation, it always cost very long cpu
> time. Is that normal?

Phonon calculation always costs more time than electron scf calculation.
Approximately, each q point needs 3*n scf calculation(n is the number of
atoms in primitive unit cell).

> 3. Can QE calculate vibration mode?

Yes , of course.

>     How could I set terms in ph.in to get vibration mode?

Searching in google.

>     And how could I plot the vibration mode from the output file?

I do not think you can plot it with QE.