[Pw_forum] Change of occupation number and cut3d

Duy Le ttduyle at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 18:31:01 CEST 2011

2011/7/30 Samuel Poncé <samuel.pon at gmail.com>:
> I did try to add the variable tot_charge = +0.00046875 because I have 64 k
> points and 4 valences band ( 4-(63*4+3.97)/64)

Not sure what you were calculating. tot_charge is additional charge
you add to your system.
For example, if you have a system with 8 electron, and if you define
tot_charge = +1, you will have 8-1=7 electron in the system.

> However if I add the variable 'occupations = "fixed"' then I get the
> following WARNING:
>      WARNING: integrated charge=     8.00000000, expected=     7.99953125
>
> I off course get the exact same total energy as with tot_charge = 0 (this is
> not the expected behaviour).
>
> I did try without the variable 'occupation' (by the way what is the default
> value for occupation?) and also get the exact same total energy.

This does not depend on occupation. Read manual about occupation for
more details.
If you do a simple math: 7.99953125+0.00046875 you will see a "magic" number.

> I also do not understand why I don't have an occupation of 2.0 for all my
> valence states?
>
>  k = 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 (  1243 PWs)   bands (ev):
>
>     -7.9264  13.7887  13.7887  13.7887
>
>      occupation numbers
>      0.0312   0.0312   0.0312   0.0312
you should post your input for further advice.
Duy Le
PhD Candidate
Department of Physics
University of Central Florida.