[Pw_forum] Using a big box model to calculating the energy of isolated atom

Masoud Nahali masoudnahali at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 22:55:55 CEST 2011

Dear Hongsheng

In this case I think that the more important issue to be noticed is
considering spin polarization for most of atoms.  Many mistakes in this
issue arise from not considering spin polarization.
I guess Considering "Symmetry" may symmetrize the charge density and causes
some changes in electronic structure of atom (population of orbitals) or may
do reversely with nosym='true'.
Also, it is impossible for me to describe this issue based on DFT and the
exchange-correlation parts in details.

In quantum chemistry software based on Gaussian type orbitals basis set (not
plane wave basis set) we compare energy of an atom with considering
different spin multiplicities then find the lowest energy and call it
"ground state". I can do it for some atoms (whatever you select) by Firefly
software (former PC-GAMESS) and then you can compare it with the
corresponding calculation by QE.
These days I am very busy and going on a journey so let me do it in a due
course; contact me :)

Best Wishes

 Masoud

Masoud Nahali, Sharif University of Technology
masoud.nahali at gmail.com; a <http://alum.sharif.edu/%7Em_nahali>
lum.sharif.edu/~m_nahali

P Save a Tree . . . Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need
to.

 Thanks a lot for all of the helps on this topic.  I've checked and read