[Pw_forum] Using a big box model to calculating the energy of isolated atom.

Hongsheng Zhao zhaohscas at yahoo.com.cn
Fri Jul 29 12:02:45 CEST 2011

On 07/28/2011 04:38 PM, Phillip Nyawere wrote:
> To implement no symmetry use
> nosym=.true. at the $system

Thanks a lot for all of the helps on this topic.  I've checked and read
most the topics on this ML which are related to "calculating the energy
of isolated atom".  It seems this is  a tricky thing based on most of
the replies on this similar topics on this ML.

Based on my understanding, till now, there are still some issues
puzzling me on this topic:

1- On the manual of pwscf (p37), we can find the following descriptions:

--------
Specify nosym=.true. to avoid generation of additional k-points in low
symmetry
-----------

I want to know, by using nosym=.true., what's the different on the
k-points set obtained with the ones without using this option?  For
example, when using a bcc box with a atom at its center,  what's the
corresponding   k-points set when using nosym=.true.?

Furthermore, when we say a isolated atom, we mean a zero dimension
system.  So the corresponding BZ  sampling by using gamma only should be
OK.  If so,  there is no k-points issues at all - there only one k point
should be considered.  Hence I'm confused on the description given by
the manual *avoid generation of additional k-points in low symmetry*.
Any hints?

2- From this ML, I found the following notes:

---------
while doing calculations for any zero dimensions you should always set
nosym =.true.
-----------

Does this mean: when I do the  calculations for isolated
atom/molecule/nanocluster and so on, I should always set nosym =.true.?

3-  Prof. Paolo Giannozzi given the following descriptions on some
similar topic in this ML:

---------
calculations on isolated atoms with plane waves are tricky.
Compare your results with what you get with the atomic code,
in which you can fix occupancies at will

My issue: how to fix the occupancies based on the results?  Any examples?

What do you mean by saying *at will*?  If really is a thing *at will*,
why should we do it?

Regards