[Pw_forum] the issues with density of state vs. energy plot

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 28 14:49:28 CEST 2011

Hi,

You deal with a semiconductor with a band gap. In this case the Fermi level can be placed in any place inside the gap. The correct way in this case is taking the highest occupied state as the Fermi level. Calculate number of valence electrons in your system and keep in mind the Pauli excluding principle.

Bests,
Eyvaz.

Prof. Eyvaz Isaev,
Department of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (IFM), Linkoping University, Sweden
Theoretical Physics Department, Moscow State Institute of Steel & Alloys, Russia,
isaev at ifm.liu.se, eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com