[Pw_forum] occupancy of the state from PDOS calculation

Gabriele Sclauzero gabriele.sclauzero at epfl.ch
Thu Jul 28 10:30:23 CEST 2011

Il giorno 27/lug/2011, alle ore 23.34, Tram Bui ha scritto:

> Dear Gabriele,
>     Sorry for the unclear question. So let say if I found a "p" state from the pdos calculation of my interstitial defected cell.

Your question is still not completely clear to me. How can you speak of "p" state when the atom is in the solid. I guess that the p states could mix with s,d,... states, unless symmetry forbids it. Also, you should be sure that the state is localized on the interstitial.

> Is it possible to find the occupancy of that "p state"?

In principle you could just try to integrate the corresponding peak of the PDOS up to the Fermi energy. But I'm not sure this will give what you have in mind (which I cannot know, by the way).

I guess it would be easier and more precise by using Wannier functions, but I've got no experience with that technique so far.

GS