[Pw_forum] antiferromagnetism in thin films

mohnish pandey mohnish.iitk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 12:03:57 CEST 2011

Dear QE users,

I want to do calculations of thin films of antiferromagnetic oxide like CoO.
The CoO has rocksalt structure and magnetization along (111) direction.
Suppose we take 3 layers and 4 layers for of CoO along (111), then my doubt
is that will the magnetization oscillate i.e. in even number of layers it
will be zero and odd number of layers will have some finite value? Or wil
the film will show antiferrromagnetism in plane i.e. every layers of CoO
will be antiferromagnetic? And what about other directions like (001) or
(10-10) in wurtzite structure.

Thanks a lot in advance for help..

--
Regards,