[Pw_forum] The issue confused me when calculating the elastic constants.

Hongsheng Zhao zhaohscas at yahoo.com.cn
Tue Jul 19 10:43:49 CEST 2011

Hi all,

You can find the following descriptions from this website:
http://dft-blog.natanzon.eu/search/label/SIESTA,

--------------
“SIESTA calculates stress tensor and you know stress/strain relationship
from the textbooks. You have to relax your system properly to have your
stress tensor be close to zero. Then manually deform lattice vectors in
selected directions and obtain the value of stress. For example, if you
want to calculate C11, you have to deform lattice vector a (I suppose it
is (a,0,0)) to a(1+e), where e is your value of strain. Then you make
the calculation with relaxing atomic positions but NOT lattice vectors
(VariableCell false) and obtain the value of stress tensor Sigma_ij and
find C11:

C11 = Sigma11/e”
--------------

 From the above description, we can know that this method do a
non-VariableCell calculation after manually deforming the lattice
vector, in this case, changing a --> into a(1+e).  My issue is: due to
the cell's shape been fixed, the cell's volume is also fixed.  But when
we impose a strain along the direction of lattice vector a, I think the
system should has a shrinking effect in the direction perpendicular to
the strain's direction.  So I think, during the relaxing calculation,
both the  atomic positions and the lattice vector perpendicular to
lattice vector *a* should be changeable while keeping the   lattice
vector *a* fixed after manually strained it.  Any hints on my confusion
  will be highly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Best
--
Hongsheng Zhao <zhaohscas at yahoo.com.cn>
School of Physics and Electrical Information Science,