[Pw_forum] QE and mpich2, Linux

ac.rain at inbox.com ac.rain at inbox.com
Mon Jan 31 00:42:04 CET 2011

Dear QE team,

I have been having trouble getting multi processing working on Linux systems.
The tasks process fine, however it seems the more power I throw at it, the SLOWER it gets.

For example 1hr45mins for 4 cores, 2hr10mins for 24 cores, and 2hr36mins for 3x systems with 24 cores (using the -n 62 option).

mpiexec -n 62 -wdir /usr/local/espresso-4.2.1/tests -f /home/user/mpiMachinefile.txt ../bin/pw.x -inp /home/user/my_espresso_dir/A1N.newname.in

Am I launching mpdboot with the right option? there are three systems. mpdboot -n 3 -f ~/mpiMachinefile.txt &

I was first trying to get it working with PARA_PREFIX and PARA_POSTFIX but I had that hang issue with nothing actually happening so this method of running mpiexec from the terminal is getting very close.

(mpiMachinefile.txt is shown below..)
lserver3:24
lserver4:24
lserver5:24