[Pw_forum] big calculations

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at materials.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 20 00:54:45 CET 2011

Given your system size, it's likely that gamma point
is good enough - a full relaxation with 18 Ry cutoff and
the gamma point would bring you very very close to the correct
result.

Then, try 30 Ry and Gamma point - do the results change a lot ?
Probably note, and maybe 25 Ry is enough (there are tests of
the C ultrasoft on the pseudopotential page). I'd assume a dual of
8, i.e. a cutoff for the charge density of 8 times the cutoff on the
wfcs.

The 2 2 2 1 1 1 mesh will be almost certainly more than enough
(i.e. a 2x2x2 shifted) -  you won't need more than these, and probably
gamma is enough.

Note that if you use the keyword gamma for the k-point mesh
pw takes into account that at gamma wavefunctions are real,
halving the memory and speed.

Last, my favourite trick is to use 1/4 1/4 1/4 as a k-point
(in relative coordinate), and stop pw from replicating that
with nosym=true . In this way, you use only one k-point
(albeit with complex wavefunctions) and the results are almost
indistinguishable from the 2 2 2 1 1 1 mesh.

For even larger systems, it might be worth becoming familiar with
cp, and use a combined damped dynamics on electrons and ions
(actually, only on the electrons tend to be enough). This can
be quite efficient for huge systems, and faster/smaller calculations
than pw.

At a certain point we shoudl write a small tutorial about that...

			nicola