[Pw_forum] missing imaginary frequencies

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 19 00:40:41 CET 2011

Well, let me add a few words to this issue.

>This problem does not come up in phonon-dispersion calculations, since
>there the k-point grid is generated automatically (and correctly, as
>one would hope), so that Z is always what it should be.

If one uses PlotPhon utility, yes, of course, the c/a ratio is properly
accounted for

for phonons along G-Z.
So, (0,0,0.5) is not a real q-point (for c/a=1 only), it should be
(0,0,0.5*a/c).

In my practice, I never got such kind surprise, except a case when I got large
imaginary frequencies, but restarting the job fixed this problem, that, most
likely,

was due to a system error.

Bests,
Eyvaz.

Prof. Eyvaz Isaev,
Department of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (IFM), Linkoping University,
Sweden

Theoretical Physics Department, Moscow State Institute of Steel & Alloys,
Russia,

isaev at ifm.liu.se, eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com