[Pw_forum] RE : RE : A question on atomic magnetic moments

Giovani Faccin faccin.giovani at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 05:58:46 CET 2011

Dear Nicola,

Just read your article. Indeed, this dimer is not as easy as I first
thought!

I'm running a GGA+U study with U=3.1 eV (took that value from your article,
hope I understood it correctly). It's interesting that with GGA+U, integer
values are now appearing for the magnetization. For example, the first scf
interactions reported this:

interaction 1: 12.00
interaction 2:  4.00
interaction 3:  6.00
.
.
.
last interaction: 8.00

Although the value everyone gets is 6.00, the fact that integer numbers are
now showing up looks like progress. Smearing interference on the total
energy is not happening anymore (I'm using degauss = 0.0005 - thanks
Cyrille!)

Example 25 on the QE distribution talks about setting the
"starting_ns_eigenvalue" to explore different initial states on the energy
landscape. I'm wondering if, perhaps, that parameter could be the path to
reach a final 6.00 magnetization. I'll try to map different values of this
variable along with the system's total energy and see what shows up; if
something interesting is found, it'll be reported back here.

Unfortunately I've got no prior experience with some aspects of electronic
structure calculations. In particular, about the Kohn-Sham eigenstates
analysis you mentioned, I'm not sure what to look for there. If I'm not
being too much abusive, may I ask for some learning directions on this? (a
book or article suggestion, or perhaps an example?)

Thanks a lot!

Giovani Faccin

--
Giovani