[Pw_forum] Re : how to construct supercell for an fcc crystal compound

Abdeslam Houari habdslam at yahoo.fr
Thu Dec 15 10:40:27 CET 2011

Hi;
Just look to your ZnSe face centered cubic unit cell with 2 atoms, as a simple cubic cell with 8 atoms (4 Zn abd 4 Se) .. If you multiply it (repeat it) 2 times along the three spatial directions (x, y and z axis) you will obtain a larger simple cubic cell which contain 8 unit cell, which mean with 8x8=64 atoms (32 Zn and 32 Se). You can by simple multiplication along the three dimension of the space create a cell as large as you want... not necessary cubic !!
The next step is to do the substitution in this 64-atoms cell by taking off one Zn atom, for instance, and replace it by the desired one, let say Mn for instance. You will obtain the final desired unit cell that you will use in calculations, which now contains 31 Zn atoms, 32 Se atoms and 1 Mn atom.

The best way to proceed is to keep away the computer and do thing by hands, with three different color pencils on a paper sheet... When the procedure is well understood do it in computer...

Good luck
Abdus-salam

Abdesalem HOUARI
Department of physics, Theoretical Physics Laboratory
University of Bejaia-06000. Algeria.
E-mail: abdeslam.houari at univ-bejaia.dz & habdslam at yahoo.fr
https://sites.google.com/site/houariabdeslam/homepage
Phone: +213 34 21 53 04
Fax: +213 34 21 59 86
Cell phone: +213 551 36 29 01 (emergency only !!)