[Pw_forum] RE : vc-md temperature increases

BARRETEAU Cyrille cyrille.barreteau at cea.fr
Mon Dec 5 15:47:02 CET 2011

Dear Lily,

Indeed the non magnetic ground state of iron is fcc therefore if you start from bcc your system is very unhappy.
As suggested by Mike you should set nspin=2. However do not forget that by doing vc-md you will move atoms according to a given "molecular" temperature but you will totally ignore the spin temperature which is another complicated story:-) Any hint to do a spin+molecular dynamic from ab-initio would be very welcome:-)
Some attempts to do it from empirical models have been proposed but this remains rather tricky.

good luck..
  cyrille

Cyrille Barreteau                                 phone :      +33 (0)1 69 08 29 51
CEA Saclay                                       cellphone:   +33 (0)6 47 53 66 52
IRAMIS, SPCSI,  Bat. 462                fax :            +33 (0)1 69 08 84 46
91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex               email:            cyrille.barreteau at cea.fr
FRANCE
Web: http://iramis.cea.fr/Pisp/cyrille.barreteau/