[Pw_forum] metallic BP?

giacsport at libero.it giacsport at libero.it
Sun Dec 4 02:11:42 CET 2011

Hi Paolo,
               thanks for the reply and escuse me for the previous lacking
description of the problem.
I have a question that you for sure will be able to reply.

It seems that I was able to fix the problem. I will try to explain.

In my first attempt I was using the Primitive Cell of BP consisting of two
atoms. It is a rhombohedral cell, a=b=c=6.06 Bohr   and alpha=beta=gamma=60 deg
(ibrav=  4, celldm(1) =6.06, celldm(3)=1)

 B  0.0000  0.0000  0.0000
 P  1.1373  1.1373  1.1373
-2  0.0000  2.2745  2.2745
-2  2.2745  0.0000  2.2745
-2  2.2745  2.2745  0.0000

(first 2 lines atomic coordinates, last three the lattice vectors)
reported in the Supplementary Materials of THE JOURNAL OF CHEMICAL PHYSICS
123, 174101 (2005)

It gave as result that strange bandgap I reported before (formally no gap).
espresso.4.1.3 (both serial and parallel)

Then I used exactly the same atomic position and configuration (2 atoms, 1 B
and 1 P) but with the lattice parameters of the Conventional Cell (ibrav=  2,
celldm(1) =8.575576536) and in this case I found perfect agreement (of course
with some obvious DFT underestimation of the gap).

Thus, as far as I understand, if I have the Primitive Cell coordinates I have
to use in any case the Conventional Cell lattice vectors.

Is it correct?
Thanks in advance and excuse me once more!

My very best,
Giacomo

Giacomo GIORGI

Department of Chemical System Engineering,
School of Engineering, The University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Ja