[Pw_forum] phonon instability

Mike Mehl Michael.Mehl at nrl.navy.mil
Wed Aug 24 17:31:02 CEST 2011

ZnS, WC, and NiAs are the likeliest candidates, but not the only ones.

The unstable B1 phonons lead to structures which relax to something
lower in energy than B1.  Since all of your candidate structures have a
higher enthalpy than B1 at 130 GPa, it can't be one of those structures.
  Hence, it's a different structure.

It should be frowned upon to hype one's own publications, but if you look at

M. J. Mehl, G. L. W. Hart, and S. Curtarolo
Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 509, pp. 560-567 (2011)

(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0925838810021225 or
http://arxiv.org/abs/1006.0236)

There are examples of how you can find new structures from unstable
phonon modes.  This case sounds simpler than IrV.

It would, of course, help us if we knew which carbides you were working on.

--
Michael J. Mehl
Head, Center for Computational Materials Science