[Pw_forum] Smearing the occupations or not?

Ari P Seitsonen Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi
Thu Aug 18 11:40:10 CEST 2011

Dear Musari, (or how do you want to be called?)

   The safest is to start with broadening, calculate the band structure,
and reduce the broadening: If the system remains a metal or semi-metal (ie
the occupation numbers are not integers), the system is most likely such
(at least at the level of DFT or DFT-HF that you have used for the
exchange-correlation). Of course there are dangers that your material is
strongly-correlated etc (LDA/GGA+U or hybrid functionals might help). In
general the GW calculation should be closer to the experiments, if the
system decides to be semi-conducting or insulating.

   Hopefully this helps you a bit.

     Greetings from Sunny Zurich,

        apsi

   Ari P Seitsonen / Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi / http://www.iki.fi/~apsi/
   Physikalisch-Chemisches Institut der Universitaet Zuerich
   Tel: +41 44 63 54 497  /  Mobile: +41 79 71 90 935