[Pw_forum] experimental Dit values versus DFT values

hannu.komsa at epfl.ch hannu.komsa at epfl.ch
Wed Aug 17 17:29:22 CEST 2011

Hello

Dit is the number of trapped charges at the interface divided by
energy. See for example:
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0038-1101(00)00119-2
You need to have electron/hole traps at the interface in order to have
non-zero Dit and I guess it only makes sense to look at this within
the band gap. It is not the density of interface states per se that
originate just from the disruption of the bulk periodicity. The latter
can be traps or they can be resonant with the bulk states or whatnot.
Anyway, what you should do is to look at the DOS only within the band
gap. If you have traps at band gap energies also within the bulk
regions, then perhaps local DOS for some region near the interface can
be sufficient. If this is indeed what you already did, then perhaps
your model needs improvement. It should be possible to construct
Si/SiO2 interface model without any trap/gap states, I think.

Regards,
   Hannu-Pekka Komsa
   EPFL