[Pw_forum] Co Pseudopotential

giuseppe.mattioli at mlib.ism.cnr.it giuseppe.mattioli at mlib.ism.cnr.it
Tue Aug 9 11:57:41 CEST 2011

Really not surprising...
I've performed some calculations on Co-phthalocyanine, that is, a
Co(II) ion "dressed" by an organic molecule (odd number of electrons,
S=1/2 on cobalt), in contact with a Pb surface (even number of
electrons). A charge transfer of one electron from the Co atom to the
Pb slab quenches the Co magnetic moment to S=0, as also measured by
spin-polarized STM.
As Heather and Jia say, it may be very important to know if some
charge transfer process between your "undressed" (:-)) Co atom and
your (metal?) slab takes place. It should depend on the relative
positions of the Co electronic levels with respect to the metal Fermi
energy (enough k points...?). You may check this also by using the
pp.x code in order to subtract the Co and slab charge density to the
total (Co+slab) charge density, thus obtaining an .xsf charge density
plot you can look at with xcrysden.
Beyond GGA methods (GGA+U on the 3d shell of Co?) may be also useful,
if you are able to calculate/estimate a meaningful value for the
Hubbard U.
HTH. Without looking at your real system it is unlikely we can advice
you more than this, I suppose...

Giuseppe

Giuseppe Mattioli
ISM-CNR