[Pw_forum] RE : why are there two Fermi energies?

BARRETEAU Cyrille cyrille.barreteau at cea.fr
Thu Apr 21 11:14:44 CEST 2011

Dear Eduardo

Let me precise a little this point.
If you do a fixed total moment calculation as explained by Lorenzo you get two different Fermi energies.
You can also plot E(M) ie the total energy with respect to the total magnetization. You will then find a minimum of energy (or several ones if you have metastable solutions) for a given M0. This M0 corresponds to the true ground state and for this particular case the two Fermi energies are aligned..

hth

  cyrille

Cyrille Barreteau                                                      phone : +33 (0)1 69 08 29 51
CEA Saclay                                                             fax :      +33 (0)1 69 08 84 46
IRAMIS, SPCSI,    Batiment 462                            email     cyrille.barreteau at cea.fr
91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
FRANCE
Web: http://iramis.cea.fr/Pisp/cyrille.barreteau/