[Pw_forum] new bfgs: strange behavior doing vc-relax

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at democritos.it
Wed Apr 20 17:46:18 CEST 2011

On Apr 20, 2011, at 16:02 , Eduardo Ariel Menendez Proupin wrote:

> I am not sure if the calculation is still variational with
> ultrasoft pseudopotentials

it should be

> or even if the Hohenberg-Kohn lemma is valid with non local
> pseudopotentials

there is some old work by Gilbert on this subject: http://prb.aps.org/
abstract/PRB/v12/i6/p2111_1

> With QE I have always seen the energy to decrease when the cutoffs are
> increased, but with VASP, I always see an oscillation in the total
> energy
> when the cutoff is incremented.

just guessing: it might be a consequence of real-space treatment of
augmentation
functions.

P.
---
Paolo Giannozzi, Dept of Chemistry&Physics&Environment,
Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222