[Pw_forum] implementation of variation of occupations and Fermi level with perturbations

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Wed Apr 20 10:12:29 CEST 2011

Dear David Strubbe,

eq. 79 is a general formula; in the phonon code Delta n_ext(q=0) is
always vanishing because the perturbation is neutral (atoms are
displaced but their charge is not changed), still Delta Vscf is in
general non zero so one has to do something

Let's look at the scf variation of rho that is something like

Delta rho(r) = sum_i  f_i (phi_i* Delta_phi_i +cc) + d f_i/de *(Delta
e_i - Delta e_F) |phi|^2

As said, eq. 79 is the condition of charge neutrality of the
perturbation which is due ONLY to the last term involving changes in
occupation of states (remember that Delta phi is always orthogonal to
the unperturbed phi so in no case Delta phi can contribute to the total
charge variation)

if you work out the expression ...

total charge = Delta n_ext + Delta_n induced by Delta e_i (defined in
terms of the potential change) + Delta_n induced by the Fermi energy shift..

and the neutrality condition reads

0 = Delta_n_ext + \int n(e_F,r) Delta Vscf - n(e_F) * Delta e_F

which is eq. 79.

HOWEVER, delta rho that enters ef_shift has been computed without the
contribution coming from the (then unknown) Fermi energy shift Delta e_F
that is (see above)

- n(e_F,r) * Delta e_F

this is how ef_shift routine icomputes Delta e_F:  it calculates the G=0
component of Delta rho before the shift ( which amount to be \int
n(e_F,r) Delta Vscf ) and define Delta e_F in such a way that after the
term  - n(e_F,r) * Delta e_F is added the final Delta rho is neutral.

I hope the procedure is a bit clearer now.

stefano