[Pw_forum] One minor bug, one not minor and two questions

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Mon Apr 11 17:25:23 CEST 2011

Thanks.

Another question if I may. From the looks of PW/mix_rho.f90 you do not
use the weights in the Johnson paper, just a straight inverse of
betamix (what would be called Y^T Y in the optimization literature) at
lines 289-295? Have you considered a regularization, e.g. adding after
line 278 something like

        betamix(i,i)=betamix(i,i) + 1.D-7/iter_used

which is about right for your Al (001) example. The regularization
term (e.g. PRB 78, 075114 (2008)) is a bit empirical, although I might
be able to change this.

This is safe, so long as mix_rho.f90 is only used for mixing densities
during the scf iterations -- is it used elsewhere?

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 5:12 AM, Stefano de Gironcoli <degironc at sissa.it> wrote:
> in my previous  post
>
> reminder -> remainder
>
> stefano
>
> On 04/11/2011 11:57 AM, Stefano de Gironcoli wrote:
>> dear Laurence Marks
>>
>>      thank you for contributing this patch for bfgs !
>>> A quick question. In the ion optimization it looks like you are
>>> starting from some iterpolation of the new density (i.e. "NEW-OLD
>>> atomic charge density approx. for the potential"), what is it?
>> if i remember correctly the charge density of the new positions is
>> written
>> as the superposition of atomic charges plus a reminder which is computed
>> as the scf rho minus the superposition of atomic charges at the old
>> positions.
>>
>> rho_trial_new = rho_atomic_newR + (rho_scf_oldR - rho_atomic_oldR)
>>
>> this is done for the first ionic iteration and assumes that the main
>> change in the density is due to rigid displacement of atomic-like
>> contributions.
>>
>> At subsequent iterations the reminder (rho_scf_oldR-rho_atomic_oldR)
>> can be extrapolated on the basis of its change in the previous couple
>> of iterations
>>
>>  Stefano de Gironcoli
>>
>> On 04/11/2011 01:11 AM, Laurence Marks wrote:
>>> For completeness, added proper comments.

Laurence Marks