[Pw_forum] question about press_conv_thr

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Sun Sep 19 10:52:39 CEST 2010

dear Jeffrey McMahon,

the bulk modulus is defined as K = V dP/dV, compressibility is its inverse.
hence a given absolute tolerance on the pressure gives a  relative
tolerance on the volume determination proportional to the
compressibility of the material.
I think that for "normal pressures" where bulk moduli (or
compressibilities)  do not  change by order of magnitude as you increase
the pressure then the absolute threshold is a better criterion. If you
deal with ultra-high pressure and the bulk modulus becomes proportional
to the external pressure you may be right and a relative criterion may
be what you actually want.
Anyway it is something that you can tune on input on the basis of an
estimated value of compressibility and the relative accuracy on volumes
that you desire.
best,
  stefano