[Pw_forum] Bilayer graphene with electric field applied (revisited)

Elie Moujaes elie.moujaes at hotmail.co.uk
Fri Sep 10 22:37:27 CEST 2010

Dear all,

I am still having problems with the convergence concerning a system of bilayer graphene under the effect of an electric field. The band structure graph is very jiggy. Below you will find the calculation= `bands` input and part of this output will also be shown. Please can anyone advise me on that. Thanks very much. I used all types of pseudopotentials with the correct ecutrho and ecutwfc.

Elie Moujaes
University of Nottingham
NG7 2RD
UK

INPUT:

    &control
    prefix='bi elgraphene',
    calculation='bands',
    restart_mode='from_scratch',
    lelfield = .true.,
    pseudo_dir = '/espresso-4.2/pseudo/',
    outdir='/tmp/results_MOUJAES/'
 /
  &system
    ibrav=  4, celldm(1) =4.608737, celldm(3)=5.330410, nat=4, ntyp= 1,
    ecutwfc = 37.D0,ecutrho = 147.D0, occupations='smearing',london =.true., smearing='methfessel-paxton', degauss=0.01
/
 &electrons
    conv_thr=1.D-5,
    mixing_beta=0.3D0,
    mixing_mode='local-TF'
    efield_cart(1) = 0.0,
    efield_cart(2) = 0.0,
    efield_cart(3) = 0.001,
    startingwfc = 'random'

 /
ATOMIC_SPECIES
 C  12.0107  C.lda-paw_kj.UPF
ATOMIC_POSITIONS crystal
 C 0.000000  0.000000  0.000000
 C 0.000000  0.000000  0.257692
 C 0.333333  -0.33333  0.000000
 C -0.333333  0.33333  0.257692

K_POINTS automatic
   130 130 1  0 0 0
PART OF THE OUTPUT:

     The potential is recalculated from file :
     /tmp/results_MOUJAES/bi elgraphene.save/charge-density.dat

     negative rho (up, down):  0.637E-05 0.000E+00
     Starting wfc are random

     total cpu time spent up to now is   1233.06 secs

     per-process dynamical memory:    17.2 Mb

     Band Structure Calculation
     Davidson diagonalization with overlap
     c_bands:  1 eigenvalues not converged