[Pw_forum] How to draw the wave function

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Tue Oct 26 09:53:29 CEST 2010

On 10/26/2010 03:26 AM, loc duong ding wrote:

>>> The input for k_point is integer. Does  it mean the order of k-point
>>> we use in  the input file to calculate  band structure?
>>>
>> yes
>>

>>> Another point is the band we want to  draw. If I want to draw the band
>>> just below the fermi level, how I can  know the order of the band?
>>>
>> look into the output, look at the Fermi  energy (or the top of
>> the valence band), count the bands at the k-point you  want
>> to plot.
>>
> Where is the first kband (kband=1)? Is it the minimum value of energy (the first
> value in the out-put (-20)) or at the valence band?

The first possibility you've mentioned, of course. At the end of the scf
or nscf calculation, for each k-point the bands are written on output in
order of increasing eigenvalue (energy). kband=1 correspond to the
lowest eigenvalue, then comes kband=2, etc. up to kband=nbnd.

> Actually, I want to consider whether certain states are localized or
> delocalized. From the calculation, how we can know one state is localized or
> delocalized?

Look at the electronic band dispersions.

HTH

GS

>> P.
>> ---
>> Paolo Giannozzi, Dept of  Chemistry&Physics, Univ. Udine
>> via delle Scienze 208, 33100 Udine,  Italy
>> Phone +39-0432-558216, fax  +39-0432-558222

> Loc Duong Dinh
> Ms-Ph.D Student
> Sungkyunkwan Advanced Institute of Nanotechnology,
> Sungkyunkwan University,
> Suwon, 440-746, Korea
> Email: mambom1902 at yahoo.com, ddloc at skku.edu

Gabriele Sclauzero, EPFL SB ITP CSEA