[Pw_forum] enthalpy of adsorbtion of o2 molecule on a ZnO supercell

Prasenjit Ghosh prasenjit.jnc at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 06:04:41 CEST 2010

Dear Meysam,

When you do a supercell calculation you do not need to relax the
lattice parameters because the cell vectors perpendicular to the
surface is ficticious in the sense that you simply use a value large
enough so that the periodic images perpendicular to the surface do not
interact with each other.
The inplane lattice vectors are determined by your theoretically
obtained bulk lattice parameter for ZnO.

So you should follow the procedure suggested by Mohnish.

Just another addition, all the calculations, the ZnO surface, O2+ZnO
surface and the O2 molecule in vacuum (the gas phase) should be done
using the same supercell. Also be careful when you do calculations for
O2 molecule in gas phase, you should do a spin polarized calculation
becase the ground state of O2 is spin triplet.

Hope this helps.

Prasenjit.