[Pw_forum] Some questions about IFC from PWSCF

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Mon Oct 11 15:21:31 CEST 2010

dear Zhou Bo
   the  IFC between atoms  in cell L and L' only depends on L-L' hence
the answer to 1) is yes.
   2) for any given L , na,nb F_alpha,beta is a 3x3 matrix but when you
apply symmetry you must not oly rotate alpha and beta but also L,na and
nb... so ... yes: symmetry determines the structure of the matrix but ..
no: it's not the global  symmetry of the crystal but the one of the pair
of atoms.
   3) think of a simple cubic system with a nearest neighbor spring:  if
you displace the atom in the origin in the x direction this gives a
certain (big) force in the x direction to the first n.n. atom in the x
direction ... and a  different (smaller) force to n.n. atoms in y and z
directions. If you move the atom in the y direction the big force will
be on the y direction on atom n.n. along y while on atoms along x and z
the force will be smaller...

stefano