[Pw_forum] Si diamond-cubic to beta-Sn transformation

Daryl Chrzan dcchrzan at berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 8 22:05:47 CEST 2010

Paolo,

The smearing flag solved the problems.  Thank you much for the tip (on behalf of myself and my class).  I agree this is an excellent teaching exercise.  Mark Asta suggested it to me, and it seems perfect.

I still believe that there are 2 atoms per unit cell in the beta-Sn structure, so I am a bit confused by your final statement.  I suppose this depends on the choice of lattice vectors...

Daryl

Daryl C. Chrzan
Professor, Materials Science and Engineering
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720

and

Materials Sciences Division