[Pw_forum] Si diamond-cubic to beta-Sn transformation

Daryl Chrzan dcchrzan at berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 8 21:55:45 CEST 2010

Michael,

Thank you for the response.  I agree that I am far from the minimum.  However, when I do get to the minimum, I end up with a c/a ratio that is far off, and an energy difference of 0.6 eV, about twice what you find.  (I have, I believe, accounted for the proper number of atoms, etc.)

I have done the calculation with the PAW potential and the PZ-vbc potential and obtained the same results.  Obviously I am doing something wrong but I simply cannot see it.  I'll try the Si.pbe-n-van.UPF and see if I can reproduce your 0.29 eV energy difference.  Did you c/a work out to be around 0.547?

Daryl

Daryl C. Chrzan
Professor, Materials Science and Engineering
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720

and

Materials Sciences Division