[Pw_forum] Request about the "real" total energy

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Mon Oct 4 13:11:50 CEST 2010

the pw codes in the QE distribution calculate the total energy in the
pseudopotential framework.
Pseudopotentials should be good at computing energy differences (at the
forzen-core level) .
If you wish a total energy to be compared with an all-electron
(forzen-core)energy you need to calculate the formation energy  of your
system relative to isolated atoms and then use the difference between
the isolated atom computed by the pseudopotential and with an
all-electron code to correct it.
Within the QE dsitribution, you can perform both all-electron and
pseudopotential calculation in the atomic case with the ld1.x code .

stefano