[Pw_forum] [SOLVED ?] Re: weird phonon frequencies for 3X 3X 1 KPOINTS

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Fri Oct 1 10:05:28 CEST 2010

On 09/30/2010 08:47 PM, Mehmet Topsakal wrote:
> Dear Gabriele,
>
> Thank you very much for your suggestion. After including some
> smearing, -5000 frequencies disappeared. But this
> still cannot explain the 3X 3X 1 situation.

Why is this situation so special? BTW, I cannot find any result about
this case in your repository.

> For this reason, I plotted the positions of scf KPOINTS (see the
> attachments)
> and realized that the corner of the Brillouin zone, which is also
> known as K-special-point, is NOT included for KPOINTS
> other than 3X 3X 1. For graphene, K-special-point also corresponds to
> the Dirac-Point where zero-band-gap occurs.

 From your nice drawing of the k-points, I guess that the "Dirac"
K-point is included also in the 9x9x1 and 12x12x1 meshes (without shift,
at least that's what your have written in the picture and in the input
files), so this may explain why you get strange results for those meshes
without smearing.

> As a result, problem should be related with K-special-point.

If you include the shift I think that the K-point will never be included
(excepting the 3x3x1 grid perhaps). I suggest you to study the
convergence of the frequencies separately for the shifted and unshifted
grids (both with smearing) and see if they converge to the same result.
Some people believe that including the K-point in the BZ sampling is of
vital importance, even with dense meshes. I'm not sure of that.

> BUT. Still I cannot understand why inclusion of a point in BZ
> corresponds to such a HUGE difference in phonon frequencies.
> Maybe someone in this list gives a better explanation for that....

I cannot explain this, sorry. Let's wait for an answer from a graphene
or phonon expert (or both).

Regards

GS