[Pw_forum] atomic positions

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Sun Nov 14 17:38:23 CET 2010

Dear Adebayo Abdulganiy
   there is no magic.
   what you need to know are the positions of all the atoms in your unit
cell and the three fundamental lattice vectors that define the cell.
   If you do not have this information there is no way you can build the
structure.
   Once you have it, the cell shape can be defined using the ibrav and
celldm variables (see their definitions) or choosing ibrav=0 and
explicitly giving the three vectors. The positions can be defined using
carthesian coordinates (in bohr, angstrom or unit of celldm(1)) or
crystal coordinates (that is as fractions of the three fundamental
vectors defining the cell). Read the explanation given about the
ATOMIC_POSITION card.

stefano