[Pw_forum] Total DOS and sum of PDOS don't overlap

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Fri Nov 5 19:30:02 CET 2010

the integral of the dos on the energy axis (from -infty to +infty) is
the total number of states in your system ... (the number of plane waves
in your basis) .... can you figure out why ?
the integral of the total pdos over the same interval is the total
number of atomic wavefunctions over which one is projecting ...   again,
can you figure out why ?
As NPW >> NATOMWFC no surprise they differ in some portion of the energy
axis.
Since approximations like LCAO are usually reasonable the occupied
portion of the energy axis is usually  well described but sooner or
later the pdos must drop to zero while the dos likely goes on for a
while (forever for infinite cutoff).

hope this helps
stefano