[Pw_forum] Van der Waals interaction in PWSCF

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Fri Nov 5 09:11:49 CET 2010

In the QE tree there is a developing branch where the Dion et al.
functional (including the self-consistent treatment for the potential by
Thonhauser et al.)  has been implemented (thanks to Tymo Thonhauser and
coworkers).
Some work on the stress tensor calculation had to be completed. It took
longer than foreseen but is currently in very good shape.
It is our aim to release these developments quite soon.

VdW subdirectory contains some code that has been used to calculate the
imaginary frequency polarizability of molecules  (both fully from first
principles and with an approximate scheme) and hence the C6
coefficients  [see V-H Nguyen and SdG, PRB79 115105 (2009)]. It is , I
think, still working but is not being used actively so be careful and
report on strange behavior if you plan to use it.

We are also working (but this is still far from a fully working release)
on the implementation of  RPA energy (and potential) in QE [see V-H
Nguyen and SdG, PRB79 205114 (2009)  and related work by Gilia Galli,
Francois Gygi and coworkers].

all the best,

  Stefano de Gironcoli - SISSA and DEMOCRITOS