[Pw_forum] corporate usage of Quantum ESPRESSO

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Sun May 30 14:22:07 CEST 2010

Dear All (especially users doing research in industrial laboratories),

QE developers are extremely glad and proud of the growing favor that their software is gaining worldwide among researchers in the academia and in the industry alike: the latest release of QE (4.2) has been downloaded more than 800 times since May 10, 2010; this mailing list has more than 1100 subscribers and is a very lively discussion forum (~10 posts/day); the QE manifesto, appeared last fall on J Phys: Condens Matter, is gathering 16-17 citations per month in 2010; Quantum ESPRESSO is used as a benchmark in the European supercomputing initiatives DEISA and PRACE. Thanks to all (developers and users alike) for making all this possible!

As you know, Quantum ESPRESSO is, and will continue to be, free software. This does not mean that it is easy for QE developers to get from their institutions and from the funding agencies in their countries the continuous support that such a large-scale project requires. We are working hard to obtain such support, and we will work harder in the future, but we need a little help from all of you.

In a time where research funds are shrinking in many countries (including Italy, where much of the QE development, and most of its maintenance, take place), the ability to claim and document an impact on applied research can make a difference between getting or loosing a grant. That's why it would be extremely useful if we could avail ourselves of an up-to-date list of industrial users / groups of users.

I would be extremely grateful if scientists active in industrial and national laboratories that use Quantum ESPRESSO for their research were kind enough so as to send *me* (not this forum) a line of email, authorizing me to insert their identity in a *private* list of non-academic users and the name of their laboratory in a list that could be used in public presentations. (no info on such sensitive issues as the actual content of their research is obviously required).

I thank in advance those who can help, and wish all of you much fun and success using Quantum ESPRESSO.

Stefano Baroni

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center - Trieste
http://stefano.baroni.me [+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) / stefanobaroni (skype)

La morale est une logique de l'action comme la logique est une morale de la pensée - Jean Piaget