[Pw_forum] Question on epsilon.x

Andrea Ferretti ferretti at mit.edu
Mon May 17 18:01:52 CEST 2010

Hi Mohsen,

the smearing technique is meant to be a numerical tool to perform the
thermodynamic limit (# of kpts going to infinity, i.e. size of the system going
from being finite to extended).
The actual value of the smearing parameters thus depends on how far the
evaluation of the limit is, i.e. on how many kpts you are using in the
calculation. Generally, the bigger the # of kpts, the smaller the smearing
can be. The smaller the smearing, the higher the accuracy of the final limit.
But smearings that are too small (relative to the # of kpts) lead to unphysical
features, especially in the spectra (due to the finiteness of the systems
studied)...

After all, the value of the smearing (and the number of kpts) depend
on the accuracy you want to reach. (if you want eg to describe the 1/sqrt(E)
divergences of a nanotube DOS and JDOS you probably need a lot of kpts).

A rule of thumb to avoid spurious features is the following:
given a finite mesh of kpts, the bands of the systems are discretized.
The smearing parameter should be of the order of the difference in the
eigenvalues (transition energies in your case) corresponding to
nearby kpts (i.e., the smearing should be of the order of
the discretization induced on the eigenvalues, or transition energies
in the case of epsilon.x)

practically, I would start with the default value of the smearing, and then
check a posteriori.

hope it helps
Andrea