[Pw_forum] a question about the name ESPRESSO

lfhuang lfhuang at theory.issp.ac.cn
Wed May 5 04:56:32 CEST 2010

Dear prof. S. Baroni:
      Thank you very much for your interesting and complete description! It is so creative! And it is also interesting that you mentioned SIESTA, which has a different meaning in spanish.
Best Wishes!
Yours Sincerely
L. F. Huang
> From: Stefano Baroni
> Subject: Re: [Pw_forum] a question about the name ESPRESSO
> To: PWSCF Forum
>
> PPS: although a bit outdated, "espresso" is actually an adjective. It used to mean "made on purpose" or "made on demand". This is the origin of the expression (note the common root of the words!) "espresso coffee", which is made on demand, rather than filtered and kept hot in a kettle. I think that  it is because of its association with "coffee on demand" that at some pointthe word   "espresso" came to mean "swift", or "quick" (because brewing espresso coffee is much faster than making filter coffee). As a matter of fact, the fastest Italian trains when I was a kid were named "espresso". So, "Quantum ESPRESSO" alludes to a blend of all these meanings: tasty (as good coffee), fashionable (as many Italian goods), user friendly (ready on demand), swift and powerful (as espresso trains), tech savy (as Illy coffee), a bit understating (you don't drink espresso coffee in very elegant cafes, but you can find small coffee places with a great reputation for their espresso), keeping awake/alive (as strong coffee should: please, notice the contrast with "siesta"). SB

------
L.F.Huang(黄良锋) DFT and phonon physics
Add: Research Laboratory for Computational Materials Sciences,
Instutue of Solid State Physics,the Chinese Academy of Sciences,
P.O.Box 1129, Hefei 230031, P.R.China
Tel: 86-551-5591464-328(office)
Fax: 86-551-5591434
Web: http://theory.issp.ac.cn (website of our theory group)