[Pw_forum] add or remove electron energy

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Mon May 3 16:35:11 CEST 2010

The electron affinity is the ionization potential of the negative ion.
The fact that it is smaller than the ionization potential of the neutral
ion is in the end due to the fact that it feels the el-el repulsion of
one additional electron.

Or if you prefer, in Hartree-Fock theory,  Koopmans theorems say that I
is  - E_HOMO and A is -E_LUMO and since, by definition, E_LUMO > E_HOMO
=> I > A

stefano