[Pw_forum] About the mean square displacement in CP output

Antonio Tilocca uccaati at ucl.ac.uk
Mon May 3 11:45:28 CEST 2010

Dear Bertrand,

the way you are obtaining the MSD(t) is not the best: in that way, every
time point is only averaged using a single time origin, whereas it is
advisable, for a better statistics, to perform an extended average over a large
number of non-correlated time origins, as described (with examples of
codes) in the Allen-Tildesley book, for instance. However, the trend that
you obtain with your approximate approach is qualitatively correct.

As for your other question, as Sandro has already pointed out, the zero
slope of your (constant) MSD(t) shows the absence of diffusion,
as expected for a solid, on your short observation time.

Antonio Tilocca
UCL