[Pw_forum] About the mean square displacement in CP output

Sandro Scandolo scandolo at ictp.it
Sat May 1 12:33:47 CEST 2010

Dear Bernard,

if it converges to a finite value, your system is a solid (a crystal or
a glass), not a fluid, so it makes no sense to compute the diffusion
coefficient with MD, as the time scale for diffusion in solids are
dictated by defect diffusion, which takes place on a much longer time
scale than a MD simulation.

NB: The MSD is also printed out (together with the temperature of each
species) in the standard output of cp.x, every iprint.

Regards
Sandro

Sandro Scandolo, ICTP | http://www.ictp.it/~scandolo