[Pw_forum] graph of band structure of bi layer graphene

Elie Moujaes elie.moujaes at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Mar 25 19:39:12 CET 2010

Dear PWSCF users and developers,

I am trying trying to find the band structure of bi layer graphene using pw package. Everything goes fine until i execute?

/espresso-4.1.2/bin/bands.x<bigraphene.bands.in>bigraphene.bands.out then the output looks like:

Program POST-PROC v.4.1.2  starts ...
     Today is 25Mar2010 at 15:13:13
     file C.pz-rrkjus.UPF: wavefunction(s)  2S renormalized

     negative rho (up, down):  0.214E-04 0.000E+00

what does the negative rho means and why the up rho is not exactly zero? When the graph is plotted using plotband.x I get a fairly decent graph but at the left corner I get some vertical thick lines (appearing on the negative side whereas the graph looks ok). I need to know what is this rho related to and how to make it exactly zero. is it by choosing a convenient degauss value?

Thanks

Elie Moujaes
University of Nottingham
NG7 2RD