[Pw_forum] lattice constant from unit cell vs. from supercell

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Wed Mar 17 18:50:49 CET 2010

dear Chad Junkermeier,
if two calculations are equivalent the code gives the same result.

your calculation at alat = 4.7 has
Final energy = -71.3700391584 Ry in the 1x1 cell and
Final energy = -285.4177075378 Ry = -71.35442688 Ry x 4  in  the 2x2 cell.
This difference is significant,  the two systems are not the same....

Check your positions, your k-point sampling, your cutoff etc ...
hope this helps,
 stefano