[Pw_forum] Graphene band structure

Ngoc Linh Nguyen nnlinh at sissa.it
Fri Mar 5 21:35:45 CET 2010

Elie Moujaes wrote:
> First of all, Thanks to all of you who are answerinbg my questions and
> being patient with me. I have drawn the band structure of graphene but
> for some reason there appears to be three different bands that should
> not exist (namely the ones starting at 4.8 , 8.8 and one of the lines
> at 10 on the y axis). I realized this when I compared that to other
> graphene band structure calculations.. I could not find anything wrong
> in my program that is causing the existence of those 3 structures. I
> was wondering if anyone can have a look at graph and program and
> figure out whats wrong...

Your system have only 8 valence electrons and you define nbnd=10, it
means you have some bands that are unoccupied by any electrons. Maybe,
that reason makes the higher bands  wrong.
Graphene in your model could be an insulator, so I suggest to reduce
ndband=nele/2 = 4 or 5 and let check again if the result is available or
not.

Good luck

Linh

 Nguyen Ngoc Linh, PhD Student