[Pw_forum] about the from scale_h : error

Lorenzo Paulatto paulatto at sissa.it
Wed Mar 3 18:27:36 CET 2010

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 17:15:29 +0100, Wei Zhou <zdw2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>      task #         0
>      from bfgs : error #         1
>      bfgs history already reset at previous step

I would say that "Pulay-stress" breaks the BFGS algorithm, what happens if
you (manually) restart the calculation from the last valid configuration
you've got? Also note that your atoms are so close now, that you are
likely to get "diagonalization errors", in that case you'll need to find
or generate harder pseudopotentials.

> it seems that the following OLD error come from     pot_extrapolation =
> 'second_order' ,
>     wfc_extrapolation = 'second_order' , I erase them then it disappear

Well, they were NOT specified in the input file you have sent to the list,
furthermore it is specified in the documentation that those options should
only be used for dynamics, not for BFGS.

best regards

--
Lorenzo Paulatto

*** Note: my affiliation has changed! please send future
correspondence to: <Lorenzo.Paulatto at impmc.upmc.fr> ***

post-doc @ IMPMC/UPMC - Université Paris 6
phone: +33 (0)1 44 27 74 89
www:   http://www-int.impmc.upmc.fr/~paulatto/