[Pw_forum] carbon nanotube & copper chain

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Fri Jun 18 08:59:28 CEST 2010

Dear Yang,

1) start from something much simpler. you need to build some competence,
or you'll get meaningless results. study diamond, graphite, graphene,
and a few perfect nanotubes first. compare with literature.

2) contrary to what is said below, you CAN mix ultrasoft and norm-conserving
pseudos.

3) for a isolated tube, use indeed a sampling 1 1 n, with n integer -
but keep
in mind that then the nanotube needs to be infinite in the z direction.
if infinite
along x, you need n 1 1 (and then a shift that is 1 1 1 or 0 0 0 or 1 0
0). there is
no difference between a 1 0 0 shift and a 1 1 1 shift, for a tube along
x. why ?

                nicola