[Pw_forum] Can we use "Blue moon sampling" in PWSCF

Antonio Tilocca uccaati at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Jun 15 11:41:05 CEST 2010

Dear Yukihiro Okuno,
provided that you can identify a geometrical parameter
(distance, angle, etc) whose evolution is representative of the
progress of the reactive process that you want to model, you can run
several constrained MD trajectories using cp.x, where this
representative parameter ("reaction coordinate")
is constrained to several discrete values, going from the "reactant" to
"products" side, see for instance J. Chem. Phys. 2003, 119, 7445. The
free energy profile of the reaction is then obtained by integrating the
average constraint force of each of these trajectories.
(I guess the same can be done using pw.x)

Antonio Tilocca
UCL