[Pw_forum] Pw_forum Digest, Vol 36, Issue 34

Ngoc Linh Nguyen nnlinh at sissa.it
Mon Jun 14 11:05:37 CEST 2010

Thaneshwor Kaloni wrote:
> Dear All,
> I want to calculate the cohesive energy of graphite, I have total
> energy of graphite its around -11.39 Ryd.
> How can i calculate this.
Firstly, you should understand "what cohesive energy is". Reference in
some basic text books, or in previous archives
http://www.democritos.it/pipermail/pw_forum/2008-January/008195.html

Then do the calculations: such as total energy for the isolated C atom
E_{iso C}, and total energy of graphite E_{total}.
The cohesive energy = E_{total} -  N_C *E_{iso C}

Hope this helps,

Linh

p/s you should not submit the topic of question as a general Pw_forum
Digest, and reply with a lot of previous question. That makes the
submittion very messy.

> Sincerely
> Thaneshwor Prashad Kaloni
> S N Bose National Centre for basic Sciences
> Kolkata Indai

 Nguyen Ngoc Linh, PhD Student
 c/o:   SISSA
        via Beirut 2-4, 34014 Trieste (Italy)